Skip to main content

Information for International Postdocs

Global Learning at Cornell

Global Learning at Cornell has a lot of resources and information primarily for students coming from abroad, but much of the information is relevant to foreign postdocs. In particular, check out their resource page.


Tax year runs from the 1st of January through the 31st of December, and are due on the 15th of April for the previous year. You will need to file both state and federal taxes. If you are on a fellowship and tax is not withheld from your earnings, you should pay quarterly on April 15th, June 15th, September 15th, and January 15th to avoid late payment fees. The international services office can help you with your taxes, including giving access to SPRINTAX software.

Health Insurance

Information can be found on the Cornell Human Resources website. While several different health plans are listed, what is available to you differs depending on your appointment. Dental and vision plans are also available. You need to arrange health insurance to prevent your visa from becoming invalid; it does not have to be through the university. Contact the HR office for more information. 

Social Security Number (SSN)

If you do not already have one, you will need to apply for a social security number. You do not need this to open a bank account, but you will need one to be paid and file taxes.